Stephen W. Browne Rants and Raves

June 28, 2011

Who is Delle Bolton and what happened to her?

Filed under: Movies — Stephen W. Browne @ 8:47 pm

It’s been a while since I’ve posted, and for that my apologies to my hypothetical fan base. (I don’t have a hit counter so you readers are kind of like ghosts or angels to me. I might speculate about you, but am not really sure of your existence…)

At any rate, I’m settling in to my wonderful house and getting together regularly and guest teaching with a local martial arts group. Between that and my new newsroom gig, including blogging duties, I’ve been away for a while.

So about Della Bolton. I’m watching the Robert Redford flick “Jeremiah Johnson.” And by the way, Redford never mentioned the historical Johnson’s other monikers, “Crow killer,” and “liver-eatin’ Johnson.”

The notion this guy killed somewhere around 200 Crow wariors in single combat is considered unbelievable these days. White men of the present quite logically ask, why didn’t the Crow warriors just band together in a large enough group, hunt the mountain man down and kill him? Isn’t it nonsensical to suppose the Crow Killer could prevail against those odds?

Not to me.

To a man who understands warriors it’s obvious how this could happen. Once Johnson had a established his reputation, no Crow brave would want to share the glory of killing and taking the scalp of the Crow Killer. They’d have come at him one at a time until some older and wiser head said “Enough!” and made their peace with him.

The actress who played the Flathead Indian woman her tribe gave to Johnson, and whose killing he avenged on the Crows, was played by someone named Delle Bolton.

She actually looks Indian (though I’ve been fooled about this before,) and she’s very beautiful in that cheekbones-to-die-for Indian way. One could believe a man would go apeshit crazy homicidal if she was murdered.

So what happened to her? This is her only film credit I can find on the Internet Movie Database or Wikipedia.

Anyone know anything about her?

Please tell me she got a sample of the Hollywood bullshit, blew it off, got married to a good man and raised a family.

91 Comments »

1. And here is a Delle Bolton Fan from Old germany. I love the movie which was just broadcastet on german TV. And of cause, I startet to search for the beautiful Delle on Internet. Well, here I am.

Comment by Claus — October 17, 2012 @ 9:56 am

2. I also thought she was very pretty and really enjoyed the film greatly.

Comment by Doug — October 21, 2012 @ 10:12 am

3. I saw the movie first time – right now – and search for Delle, too ๐Ÿ™‚ It seems she has a really good fan team now, hasn’t she? ๐Ÿ˜€

Comment by xychteen — October 29, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

4. To start off yes Trapper is my real name, and I am a fur trapper . I was 12 yrs old in 1972 when the film came out .And I fell for swan as hard as Jeremiah .
    Delle, you were beautiful and am sure you still are ,just let us (your fans ) know that you are happy and safe . Always, Trapper

Comment by Trapper — November 14, 2012 @ 10:49 pm

5. Delle…..you are loved by many who wish you a long and good life….I pray Creator gives you all you need and that you are always loved.

Comment by Barry — November 18, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

6. I found a link about Delle Bolton here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093386/
    ; seems she celebrated her first wedding anniversary with screenwriter David Colloff during the filming of Jeremiah Johnson (1972). Also a 1972 article about her work at UCLA http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19721111&id=c2VTAAAAIBAJ&sjid=iYUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7144,3198599.

Nothing after 1972!

Comment by Chris — December 15, 2012 @ 5:49 pm

7. Settle down. I’m here in New Mexico selling Squaw Jerky to Tourist!

Comment by Delle Bolton — December 25, 2012 @ 10:02 am

8. Delle Bolton was also apparently in a ” Monk ” episode from 2008.

Comment by Patrick T — December 25, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

9. I just watched ‘jeramiha Johnnson” Man oh Man, I was a Hot Lil Injun!

Comment by Delle Bolton — December 25, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

10. Does the movie industry not keep up with a beautiful and talented actress like Delle Bolton? If not, they are more stupid than I thought!

Comment by Charlie — January 6, 2013 @ 9:33 pm

11. Yup,

‘nuther seeker out in cyberspace lookin’ round fur Delle Bolton. Mebbe Sydney Pollack was after a bit of realism, so Delle was ackshuhlly killed by them Crow and/or burned up in their log cabin,

_dunno…

Comment by dunno — January 7, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

12. I keep Delle in my Spank File!

Comment by Delle Fan — January 7, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

13. A much older Delle Bolton played a bit part on an episode of “Monk” a few years ago. That, I believe is her only other theatrical credit.

She was otherwise a teacher at various Indian schools.

Yes, I believe she is an Indian.

Comment by Bill — February 2, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

14. Delle Bolton is not Indian but of Dutch and English heritage. Her daughter Anya does casting for “Monk.” She lives in Southern California where she taught in private schools.

Comment by the truth — February 3, 2013 @ 3:02 pm

15. Hauntingly beautiful was (and probably still) is Delle Bolton . The scenes with Swan and the Grizzly man are the reasons I go back to watch JJ .

Comment by Jim — March 24, 2013 @ 4:45 pm

16. Delle, would love to know how to get some of your Squaw Jerky.

Comment by Jim (Tiberious) — March 24, 2013 @ 4:50 pm

17. Apparently she passed away… http://obituarytypo.blogspot.com/2012/06/delle-bolton.html?m=1

I was so in love with her too…

Comment by mike — April 15, 2013 @ 12:03 am

18. Would like the Actual Obit ,and not some BullSpit Link,

Comment by Horse Muffins — April 30, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

19. Stephen, what martial art are you into? I hold blackbelts in tae kwon do, & shotokan myself. Always admire a fellow martial artist.

Comment by marlin chasteen — June 22, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

20. Thank you Marlin. Click on the link on the toolbar above the post title “Martial Arts…” etc and that’ll tell you something about what I do.

You can also click on the “martial arts” link on the subject menu on the right to see some of my articles on the subject.

Comment by Stephen W. Browne — June 22, 2013 @ 6:06 pm

21. This webpage:
    confirms that she is a real Native American. It states:

“Actress Delle Bolton was the last of 200 Native American women to audition for the role of Swan.”

and also

“Bolton was coached by a Flathead on how to act as a chief’s daughter and a mountain man’s wife.”

Comment by The Investigator — June 27, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

22. Delle is not American Indian. Raised in New Orleans, she had a southern Belle accent which is probably the reason that she did not speak (a few chants)in the movie. Her family moved to Santa Monica CA when she was 14 and then to Houston Texas where she finished high school and some college. The family moved back to Santa Monica and she graduated from UCLA. JJ was her only movie as she pursued teaching in the southern California area. She did not teach at an Indian school or on reservations. She did have a small part on the Monk film “Mr Monk and the three Julies”. Apparently her privacy is of utmost importance. It’s probably best that she did not continue her career in movies as she was not willing to have any kind of communication with her fans. Anything that is printed suggesting that she is Indian is not true. The movie studio interviewed approximately 200 Indian women for the part of Swan but ended up selecting Delle because of her talent and facial structure. At 14 years of age she was cute, at age 20 she was beautiful.

Comment by Saxman — September 30, 2013 @ 12:05 am

23. Redford mentions the book “Crow Killer” in the features disk of the JJ Blu-ray set.

Comment by Steve — October 12, 2013 @ 4:43 am

24. Interesting! I was searching for any information about her and I found your website ๐Ÿ™‚ I also found her beautiful especially after she bleached her mustache ๐Ÿ™‚

Comment by Mohsen qassemi — November 13, 2013 @ 9:38 am

25. Absolutely fabulous you were. I watch this film more often than not. And I, too, wonder what ever happened to you. I pray the Holy One keeps your cirle strong and full of gooT medicine eh. I am glad someone/everyone had the strength to keep you in thought and you answered. Many thanks..Merci beaucoup!

Comment by silent thunder — December 19, 2013 @ 4:50 pm

26. She is a really pretty woman!

Comment by Ed — June 28, 2014 @ 1:01 pm

27. I’m watching ” Jeremiah Johnson Now,, And Yes I wonder what happened to this Beautiful Woman. I watch this Movie each time It’s on. It’s such a Great movie and for a Change,, It’s Real Life unlike the Junk We have today. I think We’ve Lost the art of Telling Real Stories.

Comment by Bob — June 28, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

28. Wonderful blog! Do you have any tips for aspirkng writers?

I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost oon everything.
    Would yoou propose starting with a free platform like WordPress
    or ggo for a paid option? There are so many options outt there
    that I’m totally confused .. Any recommendations? Appreciate it!

Comment by best martial arts for kids — July 27, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

29. Hmmmm, I started with a free blog space and moved here on the recommendation of a computer-person friend.

For aspiring writers the best short piece of advice I ever heard is attributed to Stephen King, a writer I don’t read much, but whose work on writing is worth a look.

“You lift weights every day, you get big muscles. You write every day, you get good at it.”

A somewhat lengthier treatment is Robert A. Heinlein’s address to the graduating class at Annapolis, the James Forrestal Lecture.

You can find that in “Expanded Universe” I believe.

Comment by Stephen W. Browne — July 28, 2014 @ 7:21 am

30. Wondrful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a whnile but I never seem to get there!

Thanks

my webpage :: Miami math tutor

Comment by Miami math tutor — September 23, 2014 @ 1:33 am

31. Hey, Saxman ยท September 30, 2013 at 12:05 am,Ya she is native American, and do you REALLY have to MESS with the FANTACY !

Comment by Rob Stevens — October 19, 2014 @ 6:15 pm

32. This is all so typical for internet forums:
    somebody asks a question and 30 people who have no idea whatsoever pop up and give their .000005 cents worth. But finally we did get somebody who answered. Thanks for that.

Comment by john carson — May 1, 2015 @ 5:09 pm

33. Howdy,
    The real Johnston’s last name was Garrison. He was born in NJ. I will have
    all the ancestry in my book.
    See http://www.johnlivereatingjohnston.com

Jeremiah Johnson is a great movie. Fiction, of course, following the tall tales footsteps of the books Crow Killer and Mountain Man…..

dorman

Comment by Dorman Nelson — July 14, 2015 @ 12:55 am

34. Howdy,
    Johnston’s real last name was Garrison. He was born in NJ. The Jeremiah Johnson movie was great following in the tall tales footsteps of the books Crow Killer and Mountain Man.
    See http://www.johnlivereatingjohnston.com
    My book will have his ancestry and more…

dorman

Comment by Dorman Nelson — July 14, 2015 @ 12:57 am

35. she was sensational. who of us does not want to be called johnson in her voice. nice coat swan!!

Comment by mayan longcount — July 17, 2015 @ 3:23 am

36. Great legs Della

Comment by Stephen — August 22, 2015 @ 3:10 pm

37. 45 years later

Comment by satx — August 22, 2015 @ 7:23 pm

38. So many of you claim to be Delle Bolton fans including the publisher of the blog. So why doesn’t anyone aknowledge her in the comments? I saw her part at leat twice. I was in the first grade when this movie came out. I can still remember the family trip to the theater to see iton the big screen. This movie brings back find memories for me.

Comment by alvena — September 14, 2015 @ 6:39 am

39. My last name is Bolton, just like Delle Bolton’s. Would love to know if we are connected in some way remotely close.

Comment by Les Bolton — January 4, 2016 @ 11:38 pm

40. I’ve heard every story about Delle Bolton here, it would really be nice to get the real truth about her point of or in and what she has been doing since J J…

Comment by Sweet William by — January 18, 2016 @ 8:57 am

41. Magnificent goods from you, man. I have consider your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely great.
    I really like what you have acquired here, really like
    what you’re stating and the best way in which you say it.
    You’re making it enjoyable and you still take care
    of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you.
    This is actually a wonderful site.

Comment by lasertest — August 29, 2017 @ 8:45 pm